Monday, February 1, 2010

Brit Brit

Setting: an LA studio, early 2008

Producer:  Okay Britney, we need one more song and we've got ourselves an album. You got anything?
Britney:  You know, I was listening to the radio in the car and I had this genius idea.  It's totally our first single.  I wrote it down and this is going to change the game.
Producer:  W-Wait, really?  Seriously?  Well all right!  Let's see what you've got.
Britney:  Ok. I'm thinking a pulsing, mid-tempo, edgy dance number...
Producer: So far, so good...
Britney: ...and it's kind of a kiss-off to a player...
Producer: ...I'm liking it...
Britney: ...and I think I'm gonna call it "Womanizer", which goes along with the whole robotic dance sound. It's this word that I heard the other day and it really stuck with me, and I think it could mean a lot for girls today who are tired of being played.
Producer:  Great!!  Wow, this could be really something!  Alright, step up to the mic and let's record some of this while it's still fresh!
Britney: Okay, here goes.  [Singing] "Womanizer, womanizer, you're a womanizer oh, womanizer, womanizer you're a womanizer baby you you you are, you you you are, womanizer, womanizer, he's a womanizer she's a womanizer we're all womanizers Bob's a womanizer womanizer baby oh womanizer womanizer toxic womanizer wo-..."
Producer:  Whoa Brit, whoa. Hang on a second.
Britney:  What's the problem?
Bob the Custodian:  Yeah, what's the problem?
Producer: It's just... aren't you just singing the word "womanizer" over and over again?  Like, are there other lyrics?
Britney: There are other lyrics too!  I just really like that word.
Producer: All right I just... I just think that if you're going to have a hit chorus, you need more than the same word over and over and over again, no?
Britney:  Well I wasn't done yet, though!  And I really think that today's girls will be able to identify with it.
Producer:  Okay well, I don't know.  We're on a tight schedule.  We need a hit song done in like ten minutes.
Britney:  Okay.
Producer:  You don't have any other songs?
Britney: Well, I'm working on one that I think I'm going to call "1 2 3" or something and I'll namecheck beloved folk group Peter, Paul, and Mary as a euphamism for a threesome.
Producer: Uhhhhh yeah okay we'll go with "Womanizer".  Just throw the word "swagger" in there somewhere and we should be good.

Setting: Some time later, Scotland
Alex Kapranos:  Guys, let's cover this song. It'll be hilarious.
Franz Ferdinand:

No comments: