Tuesday, July 6, 2010

A Fond Farewell to the W Train!

Um... actually I don't have much to say here.  You were simply all kinds of adequate that one time that I took you.  I suppose I will miss the disappointment of seeing you rounding the corner and not being a Q train, N train, or even an R.  You ran to my school and to... well, nowhere else that I ever needed to go.  Sure, you could get me to Times Square, but so could the 1, 2, 3, A, C, E, N, R, Q, S, and 7.  I've actually even walked to 42nd Street and beyond from West 3rd Street (several times), so it's hard to say that you were worth the $2.25.  While the N and Q often got the new rail cars, the cars on your local W runs often looked like poorly-lit crime scenes. When I found out that your service was being cut, I couldn't believe it--though only because it proved that the MTA actually does do things sometimes.  I figured that they just deliberated a lot.

So therefore, dear W train, as you noisily approach that light at the end of the tunnel [Ed. note: Sorry, I couldn't help myself], I will leave you with a positive to take back with you to the rail yards.  While you were certainly among the unsexiest of subway lines, you were not the late night G train--and you'll always have that.

No comments: