Saturday, November 20, 2010

Checking In

I once wrote a very eloquent post about how most blog posts are posts apologizing for the lack of posts. I even successfully used raison d'etre in a sentence.  You should go read it; you'd love it!

Shown: Approximate size of RI.
This morning I find myself at a Starbucks in Providence, Rhode Island, a place where I have many memories, and a few nights without memories.  I used to come to this particular shop to unwind before my work study job at a nearby museum, as well as to get some work done when I used to do adorable things like write papers about literature.  Having woke up in Brooklyn this morning at 5 for a 7:10 bus out of Penn Station, Rhode Island at 10:30 strikes me as quaint in its littleness.  It's like it thinks it's a state or something.

None of these things matter to you, however, because you didn't come here for that.  You came here hoping to find out why I haven't posted lately, and I don't blame you.  Being a student teacher is hard.  Parent teacher conferences, disciplinary actions, and grades are all hard enough, but painstakingly crafting original exams and watching your class bomb them in front of you after a month of study and two days of review might be the most discouraging thing ever.

Hey, how do you feel about
stock photos? I'm for 'em.
At the very least, my 7th graders are killing it with vocabulary units and I couldn't be more jazzed.  Gradually I've been able to appear as less square-ish of a teacher, which is exciting.  Despite anything you've heard, most teachers would, in fact, like their students to think that they are cool, if all other things are equal.  Sure, teachers aren't supposed to be their students' friends and there is work to be done.  Still, holding back the perfectly timed joke is like looking at delicious red velvet cake without eating it.

Ah, but I've wandered into things that no one cares about again.  Coming back around to this blog, my blogging will probably pick up substantially in January, but in the meantime, it's a slow drip.  Enjoy your Thanksgiving and please tell all of your female friends about me.  I'm available and I'm a snappy dresser.

No comments: