Monday, May 11, 2009

Anecdote from a Killer Sports Weekend, and Links

Boston Globe photo collage
At Fenway, Tampa Bay's Pat Burrell stepped out of the batter's box as the stadium erupted in cheers [when] the Celtics took the win. "I didn't know if there was a big fight going on or did somebody run on the field," Burrell said. "Definitely, it was time to get out of the box. Then as soon as I thought about it, I said, 'Oh, it's probably hockey.' The home plate umpire said, 'I think it's basketball.'" (Source: The Boston Globe)

It was a ginormous weekend in Boston sports. Last night, the Bruins staved off elimination with a tremendously played 4-0 win at home against Carolina to force a Game 6. Shortly thereafter, a back-and-forth Celtics/Magic game came to a TV-movie finish as Glen "Big Baby" Davis sunk a long jump shot at the buzzer for a stunning 95-94 victory. As if ordained by fate, the Red Sox almost immediately picked up the slack in the eighth inning. Jason Bay provided what proved to be the winning RBI (it's what he does), and the Sox survived another rough 9th inning to beat Tampa (who have just owned them of late), 4-3. Looking back now, I'm a little disappointed that the Patriots didn't manage to find a way to win something yesterday.

HAPPY LINK FUN TIME!

Coffee may have a multitude of health benefits, according to new research. Apparently, much of the prior research on coffee drinkers failed to seperate the effects of smoking from the effects of coffee drinking, as there was (formerly) a high correlation in users between the two. Just bringing this news to you gives me the jitters. (Source: The Boston Globe)

Fantastic, free instrumental number called "B Minor" by Badman Records artist Lanterna. Reminds me a bit of U2 and some of Radiohead's Bends-era stuff, but just a little bit. As far as music goes, this is pretty accessible. I'm not a big fan of instrumentals but this one is pretty great. (Source: Amazon mp3)

Wordsmith.org's Word of the Day today is dissimulate, which is a verb meaning to "disguise one's intentions". I feel that dissimulate would make for an interesting comparison to obfuscate, but I'm a nerd so... there's that. (Source: A Word A Day)

My friend Todd is in animation school. Although he updates less frequently than I do, due to probably having far more of a social life, check out his blog! I'm biased of course, but I think his stuff is pretty entertaining.

Finally, someecards.com has been providing me with uncomfortable laughs and tweaks of shame for a solid year now. If you're not hip, inform yourself.

There you go. Go get some sunshine, losers.

No comments: