Friday, June 5, 2009

Everybody Loves Free Stuff!

So today I was sitting at work in a free t-shirt that I got at college, and it occured to me that, man, I loves me some free stuff. It is therefore entirely unsurprising that I took advantage of the greatest American celebration in the history of American History today: National Donut Day.

Man, I love donuts. I am reasonably certain that I could eat a dozen in one day, though I have yet to make it past four without feeling tremendously paunchy and bloated (albeit deliriously happy at the same time). Chocolate, Jelly, Sprinkles, Blueberry Cake, Boston Creme, Pumpkin, Entenmann's Powdered... it really doesn't matter. A donut is a donut, and thank you I will have another. The only thing better than a donut is a free donut. This is why I support any and all legislation that led to this great national holiday, which curiously only shows up on the calendars of private food service companies. Hmm.

At any rate, Friendly's Ice Cream jumped on that bandwagon too, so if you live near one of these fine (?) establishments, cruise on over tomorrow between noon and 5pm and get yourself a Free Scoop of Ice Cream. Skip the one in Foxboro, MA, though. My brother used to work there and those guys are buttholes. Although maybe the lack of profit tomorrow is why you should go. I'm not an economics major so I'll just stick to spittin' some prose.

To round out this entirely unnutritious entry, I thought I'd pass along more free and link to an mp3 of one of my favorite cover songs (Link courtesy of the Ben Folds fan site wokeupwaytolate.com). This is a cover of Steely Dan's "Barrytown" performed by Ben Folds Five, very shortly before the trio broke up. The acerbic lyrics create a perfect juxtaposition with the fantastic chord progressions and catchy pop hooks that Steely Dan is known for, and the Five does it justice with their piano/bass/drums take. In plain speak, this song kicks ass. Punk rock for sissies.

Ben Folds Five - Barrytown.mp3
Right click + Save As to download, or play it here:


I'm off to go bowling and hit up the drive thru for one more free donut. Happy weekend, America.

1 comment:

The guy said...

my DD made me buy a drink to get my donut...bastards.