Monday, June 8, 2009

I Would Make A Horrible Diplomat

The other day, I told a friend that I thought it would be funny if the President of South Korea officially changed the name of the country to "Korea", merely to piss off the North Koreans. It would be similar to South Dakota's reaction when North Dakota wanted to change its name to just "Dakota" (Apparently they felt "North Dakota" sounded too cold, and as Jon Stewart pointed out, "South Manitoba" didn't seem that much warmer).

As it turns out, I forgot that South Korea really is, officially, the Republic of Korea, thereby rendering my hilarious observation to be both irrelevant and ignorant. This is one of many reasons I could never pretend to be a citizen of the world. I spent much of history class in high school checking out the girl next to me, so my knowledge of world affairs prior to, say, yesterday, is a bit limited.

Of course, I jest. I read the newspaper every day and on a good day can name all seven Stans (even if I can't quite pronounce Kyrgyzstan). Although I am usually unable to name more than 100 countries in five minutes, I did routinely get A+'s on fill-in map quizzes in 7th grade World Studies class (let me tell you how much tail that gets you! Oh man, the stories).

Still, there's a part of me that feels bad for making ignorant mistakes like that, even in the name of comedy. Though I will say this: I will never hear the name "Puntland" and not laugh. Punt is a funny sounding word as it is, but to add the rich symbolism behind the ritual surrendering of possession due to offensive ineptitude in American football... well, that's just hilarious. Puntland. Ha! They suck.

3 comments:

The guy said...

and a lame attempt at being funny...why didnt you just post a picture of yourself? Would have gotten a better reaction.

May said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
May said...

As a South Korean myself (born and bred, but not raised - therefore I don't have the same immediate threat of dying by the hand of the lunatic to the north and his nuclear weapons), I have something to say.

One, thanks for using the flag there. It's still awesome, 22 years after I first saw it.

Two, S. Korea really SHOULD technically be the only Korea. Let's be honest. What has the north done? Starved its people and created weapons to kill the world. Wonderful. What has S. Korea done? Become one of the technology capitals of the world wherein there are more cell phones than people. IN THE COUNTRY.

Third, Korea should get rid of its all-around disgusting Kimchi dish. No one wants to eat hot chili paste that's been fermenting in a clay pot, buried underneath the ground, after the mold's been scooped off the top.

Fourth, we know you're trying your hardest, Whitey. We don't expect you to know it all. :)