Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Adventures in Education, Chapter 1

Today, I substituted kindergarten. If this doesn't adequately explain my lack of a solid post in 24 hours, you obviously have never worked with children. Below, I present the artwork of one of my students. Needless to say, this is a portrait of yours truly.


Yep. Miss Dan. I think she was serious, too--if not, she's got the greatest poker face I've ever seen. I suppose that every teacher, to her, is Miss So-and-so, but this was still surprising. If there was any small part of me that thought, 'Hey forget high school, I want to teach little kids!'... well that part of me died today. I realize by posting this I am leaving myself open to ridicule from my friends, perhaps forevermore. This is my chosen career field, after all, and I am completely aware of the gender ratios inherent in the system. But hey, I thought it was funny, too. If nothing else, this is artwork a damn sight better than most of you can come up with--so stuff it, Steve.

Incidentally, tonight I was driving home when I got stuck behind a car doing 20mph on a road where the limit is posted at 40 (though most people do closer to 50). Tonight, however, we were in the middle of a snowstorm on a road that hadn't been plowed all that well so, frankly, I was more than forgiving and patiently followed the lead dude along with three other cars. That was not gonna happen for the bloke in the silver SUV in front of me, and he decided to pass (in a no passing zone, not that we could see the double line) on the left and race past this grandma. Kind of unnecessary given the snow, but whatever. The rest of us are happy putting along at the pace of one of the more exciting episodes of Antiques Roadshow. Fast forward five minutes. Same road. We all collectively pass said silver SUV, hazard lights on, stuck in a huge snowbank on the side of the road. None of us stopped to help. I'm not sure if there's a moral of this story, but if there is, it could be this: Bear in mind that your kindergarten teachers might not always be female.