Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Wednes and Odds

Sup, world.

I felt that now was the right time to check in with a bunch of thoughts that are probably too brief to be posts of their own (I know, right? I'm never concise). As Jemaine Clement so aptly puts it, "It's Wednesday... There's nothing good on tv. Conditions are perfect". So let's get right to it, then. It's time for business.

Item! Providence College basketball smacked around #1 Pitt at the Dunk last night and scored a decisive victory. This is only the second time that the school has ever defeated a #1 seeded team, the last time being against Michigan in 1976. For a team with an outside shot at the tournament, this win is huge. Naturally, the always rowdy Friar Fanatics stormed the court after the game, an undergraduate dream of mine that went unfulfilled. Sure, there was that one game at the end of senior year, but I was writing a paper, the game was already on TV, and they were supposed to lose anyway. The last image from that game, before ESPN2 cut back to SportsCenter, was my roommate and his Beard of Justice TM mere inches away from the camera cheering wildly. That could've been me. That paper was mediocre, by the way.

Item! The celeb-watching world is all a-twitter with excitement over pictures of Gisele Bundchen wearing what may or may not be an engagement ring. After Dan Shaughnessy's crappy article about Tom Brady having gone soft, I felt that as a lifelong Patriots fan (who remembers looking up to such non-factors as Scooter McGruder) I should give my two cents. My take is this. Quite honestly, I could care less what he does Monday through Saturday. As long as he brings the goods on Sunday, I'm happy. He could join Cirque du Soleil and the Church of Scientology and even guest star on the Teletubbies with Randy Moss, and it doesn't matter. So while Peyton Manning is making hilarious commericals and Ben Roethlisberger is falling off motorcycles, I'm just fine with Tom being spoonfed by the #1 supermodel in the world, so long as he keeps rehabbing that knee. Nuff said.

Item! George-Michael Bluth has, according to the trusty internets, agreed in principle to the Arrested Development movie! Can I get a hallelujah? Once again, my blog has directly stirred up enough buzz to get stuff done. As the lone holdout in publically stating their participation in the big screen adaptation of the late TV show, George-Michael (who plays Michael Cera in real life) had dodged the question and even implied he was not in a position to do the movie. To that, I said: Yeah, right. Even Maebe signed on; I knew he wouldn't hold out long. I didn't think he had it in him. Now with the complete cast in the bag (no word on Marta 1 or Marta 2 yet), if Mitch Hurwitz and Ron Howard can get cracking with new jokes pertaining to literacy calendars, Wee Britain, and Dr. Fishman, everything is going to be all right.

Finally, (Item!) I'm not going to do a New Music Wednesday today. There's no explanation coming; it turns out I'm just too lazy to do it. Try to hold it together. You'll pull through.

Take us home, Stephen!
"Some are put off by the labyrinthine structure of Catholic dogma, but many of its rituals are quite beautiful, and not just when edited together as a tense, poetic conterpoint to brutal violence in Mafia films." - Stephen Colbert

No comments: