Sunday, February 1, 2009

Stooper Bowl Recap

Well Super Bowl XLIII is in the books, and really it doesn't matter that the crappy Pittsburgh Steelers are now, officially, the owners of more Super Bowl championships than any other team. Whoop de doo. Did their kicker make the Pro Bowl? No. Go Pats.

But enough about that. The game was surprisingly exciting for a game I didn't really care about. I've heard Bruce Springsteen sound better musically, but I'd rather see an energetic performance like that one over a rock-by-numbers set like the Rolling Stones three years ago (memo to the Stones: you've done better). I enjoyed the set, rocky moments and all. In fact, it was awesome. I'll fight you if you disagree with me.

Okay, other than the game we did have a few good commercials. As usual, the laughs were too few and far between. The laugh-a-half-minute Super Bowl commercial sessions seem to have gone the way of "Buffalo Bills, Super Bowl Contender". Still, perhaps it's time to lower our expectations and instead enjoy these chestnuts. My top 5 commercials, in descending order.

#5.) Bridgestone Tires, Mr. Potato Head

Rhode Island's most famous tubers out for a drive. Although I predicted the outcome of this commercial, the payoff was no less amusing. Simple, but great.

#4.) Doritos, Crystal Ball

Stupid humor, but great stupid humor. I really didn't expect this one, but it made me laugh out loud.

#3.) Hulu, spokesperson Alec Baldwin

Honesty is always the best policy. In a way, it's refreshing and arguably more effective to market your product by putting down the product, the consumers, and the advertising process--instead of overstating the product's usefulness or desirability.

#2.) eTrade, talking baby with friends

After discussing this commercial series at length with the old man, I have to conclude that this commercial series cannot fail. Yes, in lesser hands this series could quickly get old, but it stands up so well because it goes beyond the "Oh, a talking baby, that's always funny" schtick. The writing is brilliant. Look at his face when he says, "It's not the venue." How disappointed in his friend is he? It's amazing. The one with his golf friend is not on Hulu cause it ran after the Steelers had already won (boo!) but was just as funny, maybe moreso. Outakes can be found here.

#1.) Teleflora, Flower Delivery

Wow. Just wow. It starts off being funny, and just gets funnier. I'm still in awe. I would not be surprised to find out that Mitch Hurwitz was behind this one. It's rare to find humor that uncomfortable in a national commercial.

Honorable mentions: Taco Bell's commercial where the man gets the girl's number was good for a laugh, as was the Troy Palomalu Mean Joe Green update. Pepsi Max's commercial was decent physical comedy. Finally, even though I don't like the SoBe Life Water commercials, many many many props to one of my favorite Patriots ever, Matt Light, for a fantastic national performance of his dancing chops. I should dedicate a whole post to him and how much he deserves a talk show when he retires.

There's a part of me that it hurts to say this, but I would have liked a Peyton Manning commercial this year. Great article in Sports Illustrated last week about why he's such a popular spokesman.

Okay, shakapotomuses, lest you need reminding, it is a Sunday night. Get to bed already. Pitchers and catchers report next Thursday.

No comments: