Thursday, March 26, 2009

Adventures in Education, Chapter 2

As many of you know, my career ambition has been to teach English to kids that don't care, preferably at the secondary level, where even less of them think it's cool to read. Fortunately, most people do not question my sanity, and a few have even gone so far as to say I might be good at that, maybe. At any rate, everything was going according to plan until a few days ago when, unprovoked, one of the kindergarten students that I work with handed me this succinct and unsolicited performance review:

That says it all, really. I think my favorite part (which could easily be my least favorite part as well) is that she anticipates my potential objection and preemptively shoots down my rebuttal with a forceful "NO". You can't argue with that, folks. A few short days ago, I really thought I had my life's ambitions in order and my goals clearly laid out before me. Now, with my dreams shattered, I stand before you a broken man, uncertain of finding a fulfilling career path now that Starbucks is downsizing.

My only option now is to remove myself completely from society and go to the woods to live deliberately, as Thoreau did. But I'd blog too. I'm all for occasional isolationism in the name of retaining sanity, but seriously, go without the internets? That's crazy talk.

2 comments:

The guy said...

Every couple of weeks, my students ask me when Mrs. Hentz (the teacher I took over for) is coming back? It sucks, but they love you again the next day.

Felisia said...

Don't you worry your pretty little head. At least you're not trying to be an art teacher. Hah, what a silly career choice THAT would be... oh wait... that's what I want to do.