Monday, March 30, 2009

An Unusually Serious Post

I try to keep the tone light and jovial around here, albeit with a dash of passive-aggressive obnoxiousness, but for a moment I'd like to address something that I'm pretty passionate about. Although I hesitate to associate my real name with this blog, I feel that for a week I can take the risk because of the potential benefits. You'll know what I mean in a moment.


My mother, easily the strongest person I have ever known, has multiple sclerosis. She was diagnosed my freshman year of college in the fall. After having gotten me through all sorts of obstacles growing up, whether medical, personal, or academic, it always seemed particularly cruel to me that she'd have to face such a major issue on her own when I was barely out the door. I spent a good deal of time being really, really angry about how unjust and crappy that news was for someone who had been so selfless and had spent a good deal of her life helping other people.

Obviously, it hasn't been easy for her, but the past five years have seen her do fairly well in spite of her diagnosis. Her relapses are less frequent now than they were even two years ago at this time. Still, walking more than a few feet is difficult, she can't always drive a car, and she has a very definite limit to how much energy she can expend in one day.

On Saturday, I will be walking in the National MS Society's Lifelines Walk in Easton, MA. My mom will be staffing a refreshment booth and I will be doing the five mile walk in her stead. I'm really proud to be participating for her. It's nice to have such a visible, tangible way to show my support for her and everyone with MS.


That said, I'm making a rather general request for your consideration. If any of you feel inclined to contribute to this cause and would like to support my mom and folks like her by sponsoring me, I would be touched and greatly appreciative. I'm walking with the summer camp and enrichment center where I've worked this year and the past eight summers. Any gift is appreciated, and if you can do five dollars, that's a fantastic gift. You don't need to give a ton; participation is, in itself, generosity.

You can find my personal page here, where you can donate using their secure online system.

I'm really grateful for your consideration and your support, and promise I will go right back to making fun of you, or me, with my next entry.

EDIT (4/6/2009): As the walk has already passed, I have changed the link from my page to the national page for donations. Should you feel inspired to send a gift, you can do so there. Thank you.

No comments: