Thursday, March 5, 2009

U2 - The Best of 2000-2010 (Another Dorky Post)

Although I'm pretty sure U2's renegotiated record deal precludes any possibility of the third volume in their "Best Of" series, I thought it might be fun to try to sketch out a preliminary track listing for "The Best Of 2000-2010".

For starters, I included all major singles from each of the last three albums, save "Beautiful Day" and "Stuck In A Moment" (which both appeared on 1990-2000). Additionally, the band released "Window in the Skies" and "The Saints Are Coming" without accompanying albums, but I only included "Window" because "Saints" was a cover, not an original. I added additional tracks from All That You Can't Leave Behind and No Line On The Horizon as they only had 2 and 3 singles included each. How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb had 5 singles so I left that one alone, though "Mircale Drug" would have been a nice inclusion. Finally, when U2 released the deluxe remastered versions of 1987's The Joshua Tree and 1983's War, they completed two unfinished songs called "Wave of Sorrow" and "Angels Too Tied To The Ground". Since these songs feature new instrumentation and vocals, and were released in 2007 and 2008, I included those as well. I'm assuming U2 won't record one or two new tracks for this, though they probably would. I then spent less than five minutes designing the not-entirely-terrible-looking album cover you see above. As far as track order, I used the Vertigo Tour's opener and then just guessed.

I'm such a loser. Anyway, someone burn this CD and let me know if it is any good.

1) City of Blinding Lights
2) Elevation
3) Window in the Skies
4) I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight
5) Moment of Surrender
6) Vertigo
7) Breathe
8) Walk On
9) Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
10) Get On Your Boots
11) All Because of You
12) Wave of Sorrow (Birdland)
13) In A Little While
14) Angels Too Tied to the Ground
15) Stand Up Comedy
16) Kite
17) Magnificent
18) Original of the Species

Comments, complaints, and tangents are more than welcome.

3 comments:

The guy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Daniel said...

I've seen a lot of lists for this potential "best of" and this is probably my favorite

Unknown said...

Well done! The flow of the track listing is impeccable! I substituted a few songs and, even though it's a cover, I included 'Beat On The Brat' from The Ramones tribute because I just love the song so much. Thank you again for doing this as I was wanting to compile something like this for awhile and the artwork is great!!